Charities - Instructions for Requesting an Extension

Is there a fee for extensions?

 No.  Extensions are free.


Your system gave me an automatic three-month extension, but we need more time than that.  Can I request an additional extension?

Beginning on January 1, 2013, charitable organizations receive an automatic 3-month extension. You can request an additional 3-month extension through our website if you need more time.  Organizations that file Form 990-T and request an extension with the IRS may need to file a separate extension through our website, since our automatic extension is for only three months (the IRS grants 990-T organizations a six-month extension).

Even though the electronic filing system will enter an automatic three-month extension, be aware that by law, charities must still file a renewal and financial report with us by the 15th day of the fifth month after the organization’s fiscal year, unless the IRS authorizes a later date for filing the organization’s Form 990.  We may request documentation of the IRS authorization.


The IRS gave us a six-month extension because we file a Form 990-T. Do we also get an automatic six-month extension from you?

No. Your organization will get an automatic three-month extension from us, but you must request a second extension to add an additional three months.

You must file a request for a second extension on or before the 15th day of the eighth month after the end of your fiscal year.

See "How do I request an additional extension?"


When should I request an additional extension?

Extension requests should be made before the original or extended deadline has passed to avoid late fees and preserve your status.


How do I request an additional extension?

  • Click on "File a document". 

  • Click on "File Extension" in the list of available transactions.

  • Review the information on the extension request page.

  • When you have completed the form, click on "Sign extension" at the bottom of the page to submit it.

  • The next page will confirm the filing of the extension and tell you what your new (extended) due date is.


Can I get an extension for a campaign financial report?

No.  The deadline for filing a campaign financial report can't be extended.  All campaign reports are due within 90 days of the end of a solicitation campaign. Failure to file on time will result in late fees.  Continued failure to file a report will eventually result in the fundraiser's registration being suspended.

I’m a paid solicitor or professional fundraising consultant.  Can I file for an extension?

No.  Extensions are only available to charitable organizations.