Special District Information


Special District Candidates (fire, metro, water)

Candidates in special district elections file a selfnomination and acceptance form with the Special District Designated Election Official (DEO) in lieu of the candidate affidavit. No personal financial disclosure statement is required. The Secretary of State is the appropriate filing officer for all other campaign finance filings for special district candidates.

For more information, contact Department of Local Affairs


Where do special district candidates send their self-nomination and acceptance forms?

Special district candidates should return their completed self-nomination and acceptance forms to the special district designated election official. 


Does the designated election official have to send copies of candidate self-nomination and acceptance forms to the Secretary of State or the county clerks?

The designated election official is required to provide a copy of the self-nomination and acceptance form (Form B-9) to the Secretary of State's office (see Rule 16.2 (PDF)).

Copies can also be forwarded to county clerks, but it is not required.


How can the designated election official send copies to the Secretary of State's office?

Copies can be mailed, faxed or emailed to our office.

Mail copies to:

Colorado Secretary of State
Elections Division
1700 Broadway Suite 200
Denver, CO 80290

Copies can be faxed to 303-869-4861.

Copies can be emailed as a PDF attachment to cpfhelp@sos.state.co.us.


Where can I find the special district filing calendar?

View the current special district filing calendar.


What does the Secretary of State do with the self-nomination and acceptance forms?

Information from the forms will be entered into TRACER, our online campaign finance system.


Is information entered into TRACER available to the public?

Yes.  All campaign finance information in the TRACER system for special district candidates is available to the public.

You don't need to be a registered user in TRACER to access this information.


Do candidates have to provide email addresses?

Yes.  Our office requires email addresses for all candidates, as email is the primary method by which we communicate with candidates and committees.

Self-nomination forms should be updated to ask for an email address if they do not already include a place for this information.


Can I use the registered voter database to verify a candidate's eligibility?

Designated election officials can request temporary access to the database of registered voters in order to verify that a candidate is eligible to run for office. Contact the Elections Division at public.elections@sos.state.co.us or by phone at (303) 894-2200 .ext 6311.

You can also obtain this information from the appropriate County Clerk and Recorder (PDF).


I have questions about campaign finance or TRACER.

Contact us at (303) 894-2200, ext. 6383, or cpfhelp@sos.state.co.us with any questions you may have about TRACER or campaign finance in general.


I have questions about Form B-9 or other ballot access procedures.

If you have questions about Form B-9 or other ballot access procedures, please contact the Department of Local Affairs (DOLA) or the Special District Association (SDA).