How often can we change our fiscal year?
The fiscal year can be changed once every ten calendar years. This is consistent with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules. Changing an organization's fiscal year a second time in the same ten-year period requires approval from the Charities Program Manager.
Fiscal year changes can be complex. Contact us at at 303-894-2200, option 2, or email@example.com if you have questions or need assistance.
Does the renewal form allow us to change our fiscal year?
No. You must change your fiscal year separately, before you begin your next renewal.
If you have already started a renewal, you will need to contact us at 303-894-2200, option 2, or firstname.lastname@example.org to have the renewal deleted so that you can file the fiscal year change first. If you have started an amendment, you can cancel the amendment yourself.
To file a fiscal year change, go to "File a document", and then click on "Fiscal Year Change".
How do I change our fiscal year?
- Click on "File a document".
- On the Available for Filing page, click on "Fiscal Year Change".
- Review the information on the Fiscal Year Change Guidelines page, then click on "Continue" at the bottom of the page.
- Choose the month that your new fiscal year will end from the drop-down menu.
- Click on "Continue".
- The next page will show your new fiscal year. Review the information on the page. When you are satisfied that it is correct, click on "Sign Fiscal Year Change" at the bottom of the page to sign the change and submit it.
- The next page will confirm that the change has been approved, or inform you if the change is denied. Contact us at 303-894-2200, option 2, or email@example.com if you need assistance.