Uniform Commercial Code FAQs

Acceptable characters
Agistor's liens
Certified copies & searches
Child support liens
Colorado Housing and Finance Authority (CHFA) liens
County codes
Ending noise words
Farm product codes
Federal/State tax liens
General lien questions
Harvester's liens
Hospital liens
Master list
Partial release & partial assignment
Privacy and redaction
Restitution liens
Spurious and fraudulent liens
User accounts


Privacy and redaction

Q1. What does "redact" mean?

A1. "Redact" means to cover up or remove text from a document.


Q2. Can all UCC records be seen by the public?

A2. Yes. All records are open to the public, including all of the information and attachments associated with the filing. However, some records have had sensitive information redacted. In these cases, only the sensitive information has been obscured - all other information associated with that record is available.


Q3. What information has been redacted from UCC records?

A3. Depending on the date of filing, social security numbers, individual taxpayer identification numbers, and some employer identification numbers were removed from publicly-available copies of UCC records. As of June 2, 2009, redaction is limited to social security numbers and individual taxpayer identification numbers.


Q4. What is a tax identification number?

A4. A Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) is an identification number used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the administration of tax laws. It is issued either by the Social Security Administration (SSA) or by the IRS. A Social Security number (SSN) is issued by the SSA whereas all other TINs are issued by the IRS.


Q5. How do I know if information has been redacted from a filing?

A5. A black box may appear in the document, or it may have a stamp with the words "Information Redacted", or "SSN removed".


Q6. I included a number in my filing. It was redacted, but it's not a tax number. How can I get the redaction removed?

A6. You can request that the information be restored by contacting us at 303-894-2200 or business@sos.state.co.us.


Q7. I put a social security number in my document, but it wasn't redacted. How can I get that number redacted?

A7. You can request that the information be redacted by contacting us at 303-894-2200 or business@sos.state.co.us.


Q8. Are social security numbers ever required?

A8. A full social security is not required. However, an effective financing statement (EFS) requires the last four digits of the debtor's social security number. When you enter the last four digits of an SSN, a "unique identifier" is created for that debtor.

A unique identifier is a 10-digit number that is used as a substitute for a social security number or employer identification number in our records.

We don't keep the last four digits of the social security number on record.


Q9. How do I get an unredacted copy of a record?

A9. Certified copies of UCC records are unredacted. To get a certified copy:

  • Create or log in to a user account.
  • Click on "Standard search."
  • Enter the debtor's name (either an organization or an individual).
  • Click on "Search."
  • On the Search Results page, place checkmarks next to the records that you want to include.
  • Click on "View Images."
  • Click on "Certify."