Uniform Commercial Code FAQs

Acceptable characters
Agistor's liens
Certified copies & searches
Child support liens
Colorado Housing and Finance Authority (CHFA) liens
County codes
Ending noise words
Farm product codes
Federal/State tax liens
General lien questions
Harvester's liens
Hospital liens
Master list
Partial release & partial assignment
Privacy and redaction
Restitution liens
Spurious and fraudulent liens
User accounts


General lien questions

Q1. Can I file on paper?

A1.  No. All UCC filings must be completed online.


Q2. When is your filing and searching system available?

A2. Our filing system is available nearly 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Routine maintenance is usually scheduled between 1:30 AM and 3:30 AM MST. During this time, the system is unavailable. If you have started an online filing or search before 1:30 AM, you will need to complete it before maintenance begins or your task will be interrupted.

Scheduled service interruptions occur at the end of each year. Notice of year-end service interruptions can be found on our news page.


Q3. What types of UCC records are filed with your office?

A3.  The following are filed with our office:

  • UCC Financing Statements
  • Effective Financing Statements
  • Hospital liens
  • Agistor's liens
  • Harvester's liens
  • Colorado House and Finance Authority (CHFA) liens
  • Restitution liens
  • Child support liens
  • Federal tax liens
  • Other statutory liens created by Colorado law


Q4. Does your office handle liens against real estate or fixtures?

A4.  No. Real estate and fixture filings are filed with the county clerk and recorder where the property is located.


Q5. Does your office handle liens against motor vehicles?

A5.  Liens against titled motor vehicles, such as cars and trucks, are filed with the Division of Motor Vehicles in the county where the vehicle is registered. 

Liens against vehicles that do not have titles, such as jet skis, snow mobiles and ATVs, are filed with our office using a UCC Financing Statement.


Q6. How much does it cost to file?

A6.  See the fee schedule for current fees.


Q7. Do I have to pay for searches?

A7.  No. Searches are online for free.


Q8. Do I have to have signatures on my filing?

A8.  No. Signatures are not required.


Q9. Do I have to file a security agreement with your office?

A9. No. A security agreement may be attached to a filing, but it is not required. You should remove any personal or account information before you file.


Q10. As a lending institution, is there anything I should be aware of before making a loan?

A10.  Before conducting business, it is important to verify whether your loan will be protected by law. There are certain foreign organizations and individuals with whom United States organizations and individuals are not permitted to do business. It could be illegal to make a loan to one of these organizations or individuals. Before doing business with others, you may want to consider checking names against the Office of Foreign Assets Control (“OFAC”) Specially Designated Nationals List (“SDN List”), which tracks the organizations and individuals with whom it is illegal to do business. For more information, contact the Office of Foreign Asset Control or the U.S. Department of Treasury.