New notary instructions
Renewing notary instructions
New Notary Instructions
- Read the current notary law (PDF).
- Attend state-approved notary training.
- Complete online notary testing.
When filling out the form:
- Be consistent with your printed name and signature.
- Fill in your complete home and business addresses and phone numbers. This contact information is required by law.
If employed, your work address is required, regardless of where you are employed or where you perform notarizations.
To submit your application:
- Pay online, using a credit or debit card or prepaid account. Payments are nonrefundable.
- Print out the application.
- Sign your application in front of a current notary (not yourself).
- Mail or deliver the application to the address on the form with clear copies of:
- Both sides of acceptable identification.
- Notary training certificate.
- Notary exam certificate.
- Watch for an e-mail message with your notary ID and password for online access. Save this information.
- When your application has been approved, you will receive an e-mail that will explain how to log in and print your official certificate.
- Show your certificate to an office supplier to get an official notary seal or stamp and a journal.
Remember: Your commission will not become effective until all of
your required documents have been received and approved by the Secretary of State's Office.
If you have any questions or problems using the Notary eFile
system, please contact our office at (303) 894-2200, option 2.