Picture of the Colorado State Seal

Secretary of State
Wayne W. Williams

Picture of Secretary of State Wayne W. Williams

Picture of the Colorado State Seal.

Secretary of State
Wayne W. Williams


Foreclosure and Homeless Voters FAQs

Q1. If my home is in foreclosure, will I be allowed to vote?

A1. Every eligible voter has the right to vote in Colorado. The fact that your home is in foreclosure has no bearing on your right to vote. It may, however, affect where you vote.

Q2. I received a notice of foreclosure. Is my voter registration affected?

A2. A foreclosure notice does not affect residence for the purposes of voter registration. You may register, or remain registered to vote at your current address.

Q3. What if I am no longer living in the house for which I received a foreclosure notice?

A3. You may register, or remain registered to vote at the address of the property in foreclosure unless you establish a new permanent residence.

Q4. I established a new permanent residence due to foreclosure.  Do I need to update my registration?

A4. If you left your home and adopted a new permanent residence prior to the election, you will need to update your voter registration. You can update your voter registration at GoVoteColorado.com

Q5. How do I register to vote if I do not have a fixed permanent home?

A5.  An individual who is homeless, permanently resides in a recreational vehicle (RVs), or for some reason has no fixed permanent residence, may use any address that he or she regularly returns to and has the intent to remain. That location may be used as the voter’s "home base" (residential address) for voter registration purposes.

Q6. What are some examples of acceptable residence locations for someone without a fixed permanent home?

A6.  If a voter does not have a fixed permanent home, then a residential address does not need to be provided when registering to vote. For instance, a voter who permanently resides in an RV may use a campground as "home base" for voter registration purposes. Likewise, those who cannot afford regular or adequate shelter may use a park, vacant lot, or homeless shelter as "home base" for registration purposes. Basically, if the voter intends the given location to be their home base, they may give any physical location as an address.

Q7. What if a voter gives a location that does not have a mailing address?

A7. If a voter with no fixed permanent home indicates that his or her residence is a physical location that lacks a mailing address, such as a park, then the voter must also give a valid mailing address where he or she can receive correspondence (such as a mail ballot or TABOR notice). Although a person may use any physical location as a residence, he or she cannot be registered without providing a valid mailing address.

Q8. Can a post office box be used as a "home base" for voter registration purposes?

A8. No. Post office boxes are never acceptable as a residence address; a voter must provide a physical location so that the designated election official can determine the appropriate candidates and issues to place on the ballot for the voter.

Q9. Can a post office box be used as a mailing address for voter registration purposes?

A9. Yes. If a homeless voter provides a physical location that does not have a mailing address (such as a park), he/she may provide a post office box as a mailing address only. Post office boxes are acceptable as mailing addresses only; they are never acceptable for residence purposes.