Foreclosure and Voter Registration FAQs

Q1. If my home is in foreclosure, will I be allowed to vote?

A1. Every eligible elector has the right to vote in Colorado. The fact that your home is in foreclosure has no bearing on your right to vote.  It may, however, affect where you vote.


Q2. I received a notice of foreclosure. Is voter registration affected?

A2. A foreclosure notice does not affect residence for the purposes of voter registration.  You may register, or remain registered to vote at your current address.


Q3. What if I am no longer living in the house for which I received a foreclosure notice?

A3. You may register, or remain registered to vote at the address of the property in foreclosure unless you establish a new permanent residence.


Q4. I established a new permanent residence due to foreclosure.  Do I need to update my registration?

A4. If you left your home and adopted a new permanent residence prior to the registration deadline, you will need to update your voter registration and vote in the precinct for your new residence.  Colorado electors may now update their voter registration records, including address information, online at

If you do not update your residence information before the registration deadline, you may complete a Certificate of Registration - Change of Address Form at your county clerk and recorder's office to update your information and vote in your new precinct.


Q5. What is the voter registration deadline?

A5. Colorado law allows you to register to vote through Election Day.  But please note that how you register to vote matters.  The appropriate deadlines are:

  • You may submit an application through the mail, a voter registration agency, a local driver’s license examination facility, or a voter registration drive no later than 22 days before an election.
  • You may register through through the 8th day before the election.
  • You may register to vote by appearing in-person at a voter service and polling center through Election Day.
  • You may change or withdraw your party affiliation no later than 29 days before the election. 


Q6. How do I register to vote or update my voter registration?

A6. If you have a Colorado State driver's license or ID card issued by the Department of Revenue you may register to vote online at  If you are already a registered voter in Colorado you may confirm your registration at this website. Once your registration is verified, you may update your address, party affiliation or permanent mail-in ballot status online as well.

Printable voter registration forms are also available on the Secretary of State's web site, county clerk and recorder offices, and any federal post office that provided voter registration applications. You may mail, fax, or scan and email your complete and signed form to your county clerk and recorder's office.

Voter registration is also offered at:

  • A Colorado Department of Motor Vehicle office when you apply for a driver's license, or update your driver's license information.
  • All offices that provide public assistance; offices that provide state funded programs primarily engaged in providing services to persons with disabilities.
  • Recruitment offices of the armed forces of the United States.
  • Any federal, state local government, or nongovernment office that chooses to provide voter registration service or applications.


Q7. What does "residence" mean for purposes of voter registration and voting?

A7. When applied to voter registration, the term "residence" generally means the principal or primary home or place in which a person lives.  A residence is a permanent building or part of a building and may include a house, apartment, condominium, room in a house, mobile home, or building.  A homeless elector may use any address within a specific precinct that he/she regularly returns to and has the intent to remain. You must have a residence in order to register to vote. Once that residence is established, it exists until a new residence is established.  However, you may not have more than one residence.




 Revised 11/22/2013

This guide serves as a reference only and is not a substitute for applicable laws and rules.