For: President & Vice President
Have you announced your candidacy and filed the required campaign finance forms?
Yes, continue to Step 1.
No, I need to become a candidate.
- Eligibility for ballot access
- Submit statement of intent forms
- Submit audio recording
- Names placed on general election ballot
- Additional filing requirements
Step 1: Eligibility for ballot access
Candidates must meet the basic qualifications for office.
Must meet the qualifications for office outlined in Article II, Section 1(5) of the United States Constitution.
Step 2: Submit statement of intent forms
All required items must be filed with the Secretary of State no later than 90 days before the general election. 
- Complete the Unaffiliated Candidate Statement of Intent for President (PDF) and Unaffiliated Candidate Statement of Intent for Vice President (PDF) forms and have them notarized.
- A nonrefundable filing fee of $1,000, payable by check or money order made out to the Colorado Department of State
- Complete the Presidential Electors' Acceptance of Nomination (PDF) form.
- Mail or hand deliver to:
Colorado Secretary of State
Attention: Ballot Access
1700 Broadway, Suite 200
Denver, CO 80290
Step 3: Submit audio recording
Candidate audio recording must be submitted to the Secretary of State no later than 90 days before the general election.
The audio recording must state the candidate’s name exactly as it appears on the candidate acceptance form, as this is how the candidate’s name will appear on the ballot. 
Audio Recording Instructions.
Step 4: Names placed on general election ballot
Step 5: Additional filing requirements
All candidates for president or vice president should contact the Federal Election Commission for campaign finance information and other requirements not addressed at the state level.
Federal Election Commission
999 E. Street, NW
Washington, DC 20463
 1-4-303(1), C.R.S.
 SOS Election Rule 4.6.1