527 political organizations
Candidate committees
Federal Political Action Committees (PACs)
Independent expenditures
Issue committees
Limited liability companies (LLCs)
Major contributors
Political committees
Political parties
Recall committees
Registered agents
School district candidates
Special district candidates
Small donor committees
Voluntary spending limits


Q1. I believe that someone has violated campaign finance laws.  Can I file a complaint?

A1.  Any person who believes that there has been a violation of campaign finance laws and regulations can file a complaint with our office.  Complaints must be filed within 180 days of the alleged violation.


Q2. How do I file a complaint?

A2.  All complaints must be made in writing and include:

  • The Campaign Finance Complaint Cover Sheet (PDF)
  • The name, address and signature of the person filing the complaint (the complainant).
  • Name, address and signature of complainant's counsel (if applicable).
  • The name and address of each candidate, committee or person alleged to have committed a violation.
  • A description of the alleged violation(s).


Complaints should be mailed to:

Colorado Secretary of State
Campaign Finance Complaint
1700 Broadway, Ste. 200
Denver, CO 80290

Complaints can also be faxed to 303-869-4861 or emailed to cpfhelp@sos.state.co.us.


Q3. What happens after I file the complaint?

A3.  After we receive all of the required information, we will transfer the complaint to the Office of Administrative Courts (OAC). The OAC will set a hearing date and send notice to all parties.  Once a complaint has been sent to the OAC, all communications about that complaint should go directly to the Court. 


Q4. Does your office investigate my complaint?

A4.  No.  Our office is not allowed to investigate complaints.  It's up to you (the complainant) to research and investigate alleged violations.


Q5. Who will be at the hearing?

A5.  The complainant and the parties alleged to have violated the law are required to be present at the hearing.  Secretary of State representatives do not attend the hearing.

The complainant is responsible for proving to the court that the alleged violation(s) occurred, so the complainant must appear in court to present evidence. Though it is not required, complainants may wish to consult legal counsel during this process.

The respondent is also required to be at the hearing and can choose to be represented by an attorney.


Q6. What happens if the complaint is frivolous?

A6.  If a complaint is found to be frivolous, groundless, or vexatious, the complainant may be ordered to pay attorney’s fees.


Q7. Where can I find information about complaints that have been filed?

A7.  See Campaign Finance Complaints to search for decisions and filed complaints.


Q8. What statutes and rules apply to complaints?

A8.  The following apply to complaints: