If you already have a user ID and password, log in to your account.
What is a public benefit corporation?
In Colorado, a Public Benefit Corporation is organized as a for-profit corporation or domestic cooperative. Other states may call these "benefit organizations." They are managed in a manner that balances the shareholders’ interests, the best interest of those materially affected by the corporation’s conduct, and the specific public benefit(s) identified in its articles of incorporation. Even though they are not tax-exempt and donations to them are not tax-deductible, some of these organizations may engage in charitable solicitations.
Why do I need an account?
You must create an account before registering an organization. The user account ties the organization's filings together. Only people with access to this account can file documents or make changes to the organization's records.
Do for-profit public benefit corporations (benefit corporations) need to register?
In some cases, the specific "public benefits" a public benefit corporation (PBC) or benefit corporation identifies within its statement of business purposes in the articles of incorporation may also fit the definition of a "charitable purpose" under the Colorado Charitable Solicitations Act (CCSA). If the PBC or benefit corporation intends to solicit funds in Colorado for that purpose, the organization may fit the definition of a charitable organization soliciting contributions, so it may need to register as a charitable organization. Consult with your legal counsel if you are unsure whether the CCSA applies to the activities of your organization and requires it to register.
How do I create an account?
Go to "Create a Charitable Organization Account".
- Enter the authorized officer for the charitable organization. What is an authorized officer?
- Enter an email address. Our office will use this email address to contact the organization about its account and filings. Examples might include resetting a password, sending reminders about due dates, or sending receipts for payments.
- Enter a daytime telephone number.
- Enter the organization's Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN).
- Click on "Create Account".
I created an account. What's next?
An email with your new user ID and password will be sent to the email address entered on the form.
Log in to your account with the user ID and password to:
- Fill out and sign registration forms.
- Sign solicitation notices or campaign financial reports.
- Pay filing and late fees.
- Change the organization's fiscal year.
- File an extension.
I tried to create an account, but it said that the FEIN already exists. What does that mean?
If the FEIN already exists in our records, then someone has already created an account for this charity. You can only have one user account for each federal employer identification number (FEIN). Check with other officers or representatives of your organization. If you need assistance, contact us at (303) 894-2200, option 2, or email@example.com.