Business FAQs

Beginning a business
Business survey information
Certificate of Good Standing
Dissolution and reinstatement
Electronic filing
Email notification
Entity names
Filing documents and finding information
Foreign (outside of Colorado) business entities
Missing, illegible, or incorrectly indexed records
Noncompliance and delinquency
Periodic reports
Personal identifying information
Professional service companies
Public benefit corporations
Registered agent
Secure business filing
Tax information
Trade names


Tax information

Q1. Where do I get my federal employer tax ID ("EIN") number?

A1. The Internal Revenue Service ("IRS") issues Employer Identification Numbers ("EIN"’s). Information is available on the IRS website "Employer ID Numbers".


Q2. Where do I get my state tax ID number?

A2. The Colorado Department of Revenue issues state tax ID numbers.


Q3. Where can I find information about taxes or tax exemption?

A3. The Secretary of State's office is not involved in either state or federal tax issues. Contact the Internal Revenue Service for federal tax information, or the Colorado Department of Revenue for state tax information.