Business FAQs

Beginning a business
Business survey information
Certificate of Good Standing
Dissolution and reinstatement
Electronic filing
Email notification
Entity names
Filing documents and finding information
Foreign (outside of Colorado) business entities
Missing, illegible, or incorrectly indexed records
Noncompliance and delinquency
Periodic reports
Personal identifying information
Professional service corporations
Public benefit corporations
Registered agent
Secure business filing
Tax information
Trade names


Registered agent and principal office information

Q1. What is a registered agent? Can anyone be a registered agent?
A1.  Most entities on record with the Secretary of State must maintain a registered agent. The registered agent is the individual or business responsible for accepting service of process for an entity. Such person should then forward the documents to the entity.

Restrictions are placed on who can be appointed as a registered agent. Any domestic entity whose usual place of business is in Colorado can be appointed as a registered agent; foreign entities must have both the authority to transact business in Colorado and a usual place of business in Colorado in order to be appointed as a registered agent. For an individual to be appointed as a registered agent, he or she must be at least 18 years of age and have his or her primary residence in Colorado. Additionally, either the individual or business appointed as registered agent must consent to the appointment. As of July 1, 2004, an entity may serve as its own agent. The Secretary of State cannot be appointed as a registered agent. You may appoint only one individual or business entity to act as a registered agent for your entity. For more information, see sections 7-90-102 (55), (56) and (56.5), C.R.S. and section 7-90-701, C.R.S.


Q2. How do I change the name of the registered agent, the address of a registered agent, or the principal office address?
A2.  The two most common forms used to change address or registered agent information are a Statement of Change or a Periodic Report if you are within your Periodic Reporting period.


Q3. How do we file officer/owner changes with the Secretary of State?
A3.  As of July 1, 2000, the Colorado Revised Statutes were changed so that entities are no longer required to file officers’, owners’, or directors’ names and addresses with the Secretary of State's office. This information should be managed through your internal records.